News and Revision History
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.10 (17 January 2017)
- A phase scrambling option has been added to the command "Edit"/"Filter"/"Frequency Domain Transformation..."
- The sample rate of 384 kHz has been added to the recording tool (selectable on "File"/"Sound Card Settings...").
- The touch panel renaming tool now also shows the text modules that have been defined in the external text file and the new "Delete" button allows removing any existing prefix from the current .wav file.
- The File > Rename command can now also add suffixes rather than only prefixes. The metabase and geolocation tools add export options for suffixes.
- In order to improve the compatibility with third-party software, all sound files will now be saved with the lowercase .wav extension (rather than uppercase .WAV).
- The newly added phenology tool (Metadata > Define and create virtual Metatadatabase… > Virtual Metabase setup > Phenology) exports phenology histograms (number of .wav files on a day versus time of day table). See the manual at page 131 for details.
- The Pulse Train Analysis option "Add filename" has been extended by the two related options "to each row" and "with path".
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.24 (11 November 2016)
- The default "trigger level (threshold)"on the Trigger Level Calibration dialog box has changed from 50 to 37 dB SPL in order to match the most recent recommendations of the RENEBAT II research project report.
- The USG Player 416H now also accepts 2-channel .wav files (channel 1 is routed to the outputs 1 and 3 and channel 2 to outputs 2 and 4).
- The software now supports measuring absolute dB SPL values by entering full-scale values or by calibration using a known reference signal source (drop-down menu item "Monitoring" > "Trigger level calibration / Full-scale SPL range...).
- In order to improve the compatibility with third-party software, all sound files will now be saved with the lowercase .wav extension (rather than uppercase .WAV).
Introducing UltraSoundGate 116Un/116Unb (29 April 2016)
The new UltraSoundGate models 116Un and 116Hnb are class-compliant USB audio devices (USB microphones) that can be used with both the full-featured Avisoft-RECORDER USG/USGH Windows software and other third-party (or custom) recording software on Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and OS X.
Despite of their low power requirements (100 mA drawn from the USB port), the USG 116Un/Unb base units can still be combined with all UltraSoundGate accessories such as the 1/4" Mic Power Module or the Charge Amplifier.
Avisoft Bioacoustics introduced the first generation of class-compliant USB audio devices for recording ultrasound back in 2001 (see for instance the now discontinued USG 116).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.23 (27 February 2016)
- Adds the logfile date format options MM/DD/YYYY and DD.MM.YYYY
- UltraSoundgate Player 416H driver and interface implemented
- The newly added "level meter mode" listbox on the "Spectrogram Settings" dialog box allows choosing between the default "peak level" and the "rms level" method in order to facilitate level measurements. The (broad-band) signal level is now also being displayed numerically in dBFS.
- The new UltraSoundGate Player 416H provides four channel ultrasound playback at a sample rate of 500 kHz.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.09 (14 January 2016)
- The main window command "Edit"/"Change Volume..." > "constant" now allows to enter attenuations directly in dB (through the newly added option "dB").
- The spectrogram window command "Tools"/"Scan frequency contour and amplitude envelope..." now also supports the option "Reject if peak ampl. < xxx dB" when the whistle tracking element separation method has been selected.
- The batch function "Template Cross Correlation on short files" has been improved (the template files can now be longer than the files to be correlated).
- The Automatic Parameter Measurements tool got two new options ("each row", "with path")in order to streamline the "add filename" functionality.
- The new option "File/"Rename by text module"/"Show text modules on touch panel" allows to use the (text module) renaming functionality on tablet PC's. See also (Automatically) Classifying (Bat) Sound Recordings at page 11.
- The "File"/"File Open Settings..." dialog box has been expanded by the option "change volume", which can be useful for analyzing sound files that have been recorded at low gain settings, such as those created by the UltraSoundGate 116Hnbm.
- The new spectrogram window menu option "Display"/"Show the Spectrogram parameters of this spectrogram..." displays the spectrogram parameters that were used to create the current spectrogram (including spectrograms loaded from .son files).
- The main window command "Tools"/"Labels"/"(Re-)Number labels..." now allows entering an offset.
- The software now accepts DDE commands for opening sound files, loading .ini configuration files, batch processing and closing the application, which facilitates the integration with custom data management software. Sample commands can be found at SASLab_DDE.zip.
- The command "File"/"Specials"/"Shred into numbered files..." has got the two new options "keep the original filename" and "add time offset to filename rather than file number".
- The software can now read the .wav file time stamps created by the Song Meter recorders of Wildlife Acoustics, Inc. (select the "Time Axis Format" list box option "Song Meter time stamp").
- The batch command option "Save one-dimensional transformations into single ASCII file" has been extended in such a way that the Spectral Characteristics measurement data sets can be saved instead of the raw power spectra.
- The new curve window commands "Data Export"/"Save as .at file..." and "Save as .flf file..." simplify the synthesis of broad-band signals based on the amplitude envelope and/or the spectrum of natural vocalizations.
- The the real-time processing tool (Tools/Real-time processing...) option "Classify short .wav or .son files..." can now execute user-defined batch (.bat) files, which can be used for conducting feedback experiments or notification purposes. See the manual at page 121 for details.
- The synthesizers have been improved by issuing aliasing warnings that pup up when the sample rate has been set too low.
- The Automatic Parameter Measurement tool (Element separation: two or three thresholds) has got the new option "monotonic decreasing" that can help rejecting echoes in bat calls.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.22 (12 October 2015)
- The Bat Call Trigger Filter can now be combined with the "entropy threshold", which can improve its efficiency in rejecting unwanted broad-band noise.
- The new command "Monitoring"/"Email Error Report settings..." allows to automatically send an email when an USB (USG) or storage (HDD) error occurs.
- The NMEA 0183 GPS software interface has been extended in order to interpret GNSS (mixed GPS), GLONASS, Galileo and BeiDou sentences.
- The new DDE commands playlist_start and playlist_stop allow to control the playlist functionality remotely.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.21 (01 April 2015)
- The newly implemented Spectrogram Settings option "Show spectrum (dBFS vs frequency)" facilitates evaluating noise floors, estimating signal levels and adjusting trigger thresholds.
In addition to the basic spectrum average and peak hold diagram, its numeric peak frequency display can help identifying for instance species of bats.
The new option can be found on the Spectrogram Settings dialog box, which is accessible from the Configuration dialog box "Display settings" section through the "more..." button.
See a screen shot.
- The new dXML metadata option "wait for input" supports the interactive metadata input by temporarily inhibiting the triggering mechanism during the data input period.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.20 (15 October 2014)
- The command Play/Settings... has got two new options ("ext mute control" and "ext pause control") that allow remote-controlling the commands Play/Mute and Play/Pause via the joystick interface (select "joystick b2 | b6" for the TRG input of the UltraSoundGate 116 and 216H).
New installation programs (19 September 2014)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, SASLab Lite, RECORDER and RECORDER USGH now have each their own installation program and can be installed indepently from each other.
The default program paths have changed as follows:
C:/Programs (x86)/Avisoft Bioacoustics/SASLab Pro,
C:/Programs (x86)/Avisoft Bioacoustics/RECORDER,
C:/Programs (x86)/Avisoft Bioacoustics/RECORDER USGH,
C:/Programs (x86)/Avisoft Bioacoustics/SASLab Lite
Before installing updates using these new installation programs the previous installation ("Avisoft-SASLab Pro + RECORDER" or "Avisoft-SASLab Lite / RECORDER Demo") should be uninstalled from the Windows Control Panel.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.08 (15 September 2014)
- The Pulse Train Analysis option "Settings" > "Apply an upper amplitude limit" has been added in order to exclude pulses that exceed a user-defined peak amplitude.
- The new main window command "Tools" > "Labels" > "Classify Element Sequences..." can detect user-defined label patterns. In combination with one of the classification tools, this functionality could be used for recognizing more complex vocalizations consisting of a series of different elements. It is also available as a batch procedure.
- The time coordinates exported by left-clicking on the spectrogram window in the reticule cursor mode will now also include the absolute time along with the video frame number when the LANC or SMPTE time axis format has been selected.
- The command "Tools" / "Labels" / "Save labeled sections into numbered .wav files..." has got the new option "Add the filename of the original .wav file" and a "Digits" list box for the numbering.
- The command "Tools" / "Batch processing..." > "Template Cross Correlation" now also supports .son spectrogram files rather than only .wav files.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.19 (20 August 2014)
- The playlist functionality has been extended in order to allow randomized single-pass playbacks (option "randomize" activated and "loop mode" deactivated).
- The option "Play" / "Settings..." > "seamless loop / playlist" now allows playing the .wav files on the playlist seamlessly without any gaps between them (the option "delay" must be deactivated for that).
- The new preset "Bat Calls" / "WEA Offline Analysis (BMU-Projekt)" provides the analysis settings recommended by the German BMU research project on reducing bat fatalities at wind turbines.
- The new Log file comment option "Create automatic playback comment" in combination with "Create wav file label" automatically inserts playback comments into the currently recorded .wav file each time when a .wav file is being played.
- The new "Advanced USGH Device Settings" option "Show DIN" allows visualizing the DIN state on the real-time display as a blue trace.
- The new trigger option ".wav file playback" will work across different RECORDER instances for recording and playback.
- The immunity of the software against sudden power loss conditions has been improved (the filenumber.txt file will not be damaged anymore on power failues).
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.07 (25 June 2014)
- The commands "Edit" / "Synthesizer" / "Insert time code..." and "File" / "Specials" / "UltraSoundGate DIO" / "Insert time code..." have been extended by the new mode "Single Start Pulse", which can simplify the preparation of playback .wav files with integrated DOUT synchronization pulses for the UltraSoundGate Player 116 and 216H. The related batch command "Insert USG DIO Time Code / Pulse Train / Single Pulse" can accelerate the preparation of multiple playback files.
- The command "Tools" / "Labels" / "Save labeled sections into numbered .wav files..." has got the new option "Reject file numbers".
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.18 (06 May 2014)
- .wav file splitting functionality added (commands "Monitoring"/"Split .wav files(s)" and "Options"/".wav file split trigger settings..."). By selecting the "trigger" option "USG TRG button" on the ".wav file split trigger settings" dialog box it is now possible (in the "permanent (unlimited)" recording mode) to create new .wav files by pressing the UltraSoundGate trigger button.
UltraSoundGate 116Hm and 116Hnm have been tested successfully with a number of new lightweight 8" Windows Tablet PCs (December 2013):
The inbuilt GPS/GNSS receivers of the Toshiba and Lenovo 8" tablets can be accessed by the Avisoft-RECORDER software through the GPS option "use the Windows Location API". Short custom-made micro USB cables are available on request.
- Toshiba Encore WT8-A
- Lenovo IdeaPad MIIX2-8
- Dell Venue 8 Pro
- Asus VivoTab Note 8
- Acer Iconia W3
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.07 (06 December 2013)
- The command "File/Specials/Add channels(s) from file..." has been expanded in order to align the time axis of the two .wav files based on the UltraSoundGate DI tracks containing either SMPTE or LANC time code. In order to get this work, the "absolute clock time” option and the “SMPTE" or "LANC time code on USG DI (LSB)” listbox entry on the command "Analyze/Time axis format" must be selected. The "Add channels(s) from file" command can now also be invoked by drag&drop while the Ctrl key is pressed.
- The new option File/Advanced playback options/"Play through RECORDER USGH / UltraSoundGate Player" allows to play .wav files through the UltraSoundGate Player directly from within SASLab.
- The new option File/Advanced playback options/"Route UltraSoundGate DIO track (LTC) to the right playback channel" enables video playback synchronization.
- The newly implemented command File/Specials/UltraSoundGate DIO/Toolbox... simplifies editing the UltraSoundGate DIO tracks.
- The new option "limit the analysis to the final xx % of the element" on the "Time derivative" option of the Automated Parameter Measurements tool allows measuring the Characteristic Frequency (frequency of the call at its lowest slope toward the end of the call) for bat species identification. See also the screen shot.
- New command Tools/Labels/Import time-frequency labels from .txt file...
- The label list on the "Label settings" dialog box can now also be sorted by the label text or the layer.
- Previously saved .cls files can now also be loaded by drag&drop either into the "Automatic Parameter Measurements setup" or the "Classification settings" dialog box.
- The new command "File"/"Specials"/"Add silent channel" simplifies the preparation of playback files for the UltraSoundGate Player 216H.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.17 (20 August 2013)
- Bug fix for the playback with the UltraSoundGate Player 216H (solves a problem that can lead to random dropouts/clicks on some computers). The Player 216H can now also be used on Windows XP.
- The Weather data logging functionality has been extended in order to acquire the temperature and humidity of a second Davis Intruments station.
- The "LOG File comment" functionality has been added to the DDE command interface.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.16 (21 May 2013)
- The new RECORDER USGH Trigger option "left-click / touch window area" has been added in order to improve the usability of the software on tablet PC's.
- The File Name Options command has got the new option "GPS" that will append the current coordinates to the .wav file name.
- The new UltraSoundGate 116Hnm variants represent the smallest and least expensive members of the UltraSoundGate product family. The bundled Avisoft-RECORDER USGH software provides a number of unique functions that can turn a compact Windows tablet PC into a powerful bat detector with capabilities that are not available in any other competitive product.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.07 (08 May 2013)
- The label editing dilaog box has been extended in order to accelerate the intercative editing of a series of labels. The newly added "proceed to next" option will move the focus of it to the next label when the OK/Next button is clicked (rather than closing the dialog box).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.16 (12 April 2013)
- The new "pause" option on the command "Monitoring" / "Shutdown / Sleep time..." has been added in order to reduce the power consumption on PC's that do not support a sleep mode.
- The command "Monitoring" / "Daily alarm actions..." adds the option "Move recorded files to external drive", which can be help minimizing the power consumption of battery-operated recording systems.
- The Automated Call Parameter Measurement tool has been extended. The "peak amplitude", and "energy" parameters have been added and the new option "reject if amplitude < xxx dBFS" can provide more reliable min/max/mean frequency measurements (similar to the corresponding option on the Automatic Parameter Measurements tool in SASLab Pro). There is an additional log file (calls_files.*) that lists the class frequencies (number of detected calls) for each .wav file. Note that the internal meaning of some of the options have changed in version 4.2.16. It is therefore recommended to execute a reset and re-enter the desired settings on previously saved configuration files.
- A curvature parameter has been added to the Automated Call Parameter Measurements tool that can help classifying barbastelle bat calls.
- The new option "seamless loop mode" on the "Play"/"Settings..." dialog box will perform the "Play"/"Loop" mode seamlessly without any gap between the end and the start of the playback file.
- The file list on the playlist window has been improved and the Insert/Append commands now support multiple selections.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.07 (08 March 2013)
- New "Energy" and "dB" parameters on the Pulse Train Analysis tool.
- The zoom functionality has been imroved for touch screen operation (the former pan function on the main windows now also allows to zoom in and out by vertical dragging gestures.
- Frequency resonse files (.flf) can now also be defined with (negative) logarithmic attenuation values expressed in dB rather than linear factors between 0 and 1.
- The command Analyze/Overview Parameters... now allows selecting (or hiding) the individual channels of multichannel .wav files ("Show Channels" section at the bottom of the dialog box).
- The Automatic Parameter Measurements command "Remove gaps between detected elements from file..." has been added to the batch processing command.
- A cluster analysis option ("create automatic classes") has been added to the spectrogram cross correlation classification tool, which can help analyzing repertoires.
- The "Previous/Next file" commands now also work with .son files on the spectrogram window.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.15 (21 December 2012)
- The new "sleep" option on the command "Monitoring"/"Shutdown / Sleep time..." facilitates putting a laptop or tablet computer regularly to sleep in order to extend the battery life in long-term monitoring applications.
- Resume from sleep and hibernation now functions smoothly even if the monitoring was running at the time when the PC was put to sleep/hibernation.
The new "Device" listbox option "Playback" on the Configuration dialog box allows visualizing and processing the waveforms played through the Play menu.
The 'WAV File Folder' device option will now processes the entire folder tree and supports the 'Automated call measurements' tool.
- The GPS interface now also supports the Windows Location API, which makes it possible to use it on the new Windows 8 tablet PC's that come with an inbuilt GPS/GNSS receiver.
- The new option "Play" > "Show playlist entries on touch panel" facilitates conducting interactive playback experiments on tablet PC's.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.06 (29 October 2012)
The new command "File"/"Heterodyned playback mode..." allows playing back ultrasound recordings just like on a common heterodyne bat detector (virtual bat detector mode), which can help understand how bat detectors work or may be useful to those who are used to work with heterodyne bat detectors and would like to continue this method on full spectrum recordings.
The command "File"/"Specials"/Georeference .wav files..." has been extended in order to accept also the GPS coordinates that are stored in the .wav files created by the Avisoft-RECORDER software (new option "use the custom Avisoft Bioacoustics .wav file GPS chunk"), as well as .KML (Google Earth version 5.2 or later) and Garmin Training Center .TCX tracklog files.
All georeferencing tools can now directly create the ESRI shapefile format (.shp), which can simplify the GIS-related workflow.
The threshold of the Pulse Train Analysis tool can no be defined relative to the overall peak amplitude (new option "rel."), in order to better manage varying pulse intensities.
- New comamnd "Tools"/"Labels"/"Save labeled sections of same class into single .wav files..."
- New batch command "Create section labels from waveform events"
- Unchecking the new option "launch setup dialog boxes" on the "Batch processing" dialog box allows bypassing the setup dialog boxes, which can simplify the (repeated) usage of this tool.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.13 (10 September 2012)
- The newly implemented ESRI shapefile format (.shp) options on the GPS module provide a more straightforward interface to professional GIS applications such as ArcGIS or Quantum GIS. The optional user-defined dXML data records (including weather data) will also be saved directly into the shapefiles.
- The continuous KML tracklog file now optionally supports the "MultiTrack" format that adds time stamps (compatible with Google Earth 5.2 or later).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.12 (14 August 2012)
- An additional 'WAV File Folder' device list box option supports batch processing of .wav files. That way, the Bat Call Filter can be applied for instance to recordings that have been made with third-party bat monitoring systems. The related option 'copy source files into the subsolders ACCEPTED or REJECTED depending on the occurence of at least one trigger event' on the File Name Options dialog box facilitates filtering automatically recorded bat calls that are affected by unwanted noise. See also Using the Avisoft-RECORDER Bat Call Filter.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.11 (21 June 2012)
- The Bat Call Trigger Filter has been improved by adding a maximum duration limit option, which can help rejecting unwanted signals that look similar to bat calls but exhibit a longer duration.
- BUGFIX : The incorrect handling of file numbers (introduced in version 4.2.10, 20 April 2012) that can under some circumstances overwrite older .wav files has been fixed. It may also be necessary to reset the Read Only attribute of the file "filename.txt" that is located in the data folder.
- The Playback Volume command now allows adjusting the individual channels of a stereo .wav file separately.
- A configuration preset selection box has been added, which will be launched at the very first start of the software in order to simplify its setup for a specific application.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.10 (05 May 2012)
- The new commands Playback > Pause and Playback > Mute have been added
- The individual items in the log files are now separated by tab stop characters in order to better access them from Excel.
- The new options at "Options"/"Configuration management"/"Save mode on exit/" allow to define whether the configuration file should be saved when the program is closed.
- The GPS receiver and weather station software interface has been improved in order to better manage removed devices.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.04 (05 May 2012)
The Automatic Parameter Measurements window has got two preset buttons ("whistles" and "barks") providing appropriate settings for either pure-tone, whistle-like vocalizations or noisy barks. The new "break" option allows directly measuring the silent time interval from the end of the preceding element to the start of the current element.
SMPTE and LANC time code can now be synthesized either onto the UltraSoundGate DI track or normal audio waveform tracks (commands File>Specials>UltraSoundGate DIO>Insert time code / pulse train... and Edit>Insert>Synthesizer>Insert time code / pulse train...).
- The SASLab graphic user interface can now be configured for touch screen operation in order to improve its usability on tablet PC's (command Tools > Touch Screen Optimizations...).
- The Previous/Next file command has been further extended (new options on File > Specials > Previous/Next file command settings...)
- The new command "Tools" >"Real-time processing..." can execute various processing commands (similar to the batch processing tool) on newly recorded sound files as soon as they have been terminated by the recording software.
- The content of the "Class Count Statistics" report list will now be saved to disk in real-time (filename: ClassCountStatistics.txt, .html or .xml).
- The Graphic Synthesizer GUI has been improved (pan functionality added)
- The new command "Tools" > "Labels" > "Filter labels..." allows to remove labels based on their label text strings. A related function has been added to the Label Settings dialog box (new button titled "Select...").
- The bound frequency cursors on the spectrogram window now also measures the frequency slope between the two cursors expressed in kHz/ms or Hz/ms.
- Avisoft Bioaoustics sponsored the workshop on Mouse ultrasonic communication in Paris. See the
Avisoft Bioacoustics presentation. The workshop nicely demonstrated that Avisoft Bioacoustics is the leading supplier of both ultrasound recording/playback hardware and sound analysis software for investigating USVs in rodents.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.2.03 (26 March 2012)
- The main window waveform and spectrogram overview display has been improved. The new option "Optimize waveform and spectral envelope overviews" on the command "File"/"File Open Settings..." can significantly accelerate viewing large sound files without missing short sound events. The underlying waveform and spectrogram envelopes will be saved to disk when the option "save envelopes to disk (*.env)" is activated, which will further speed up opening large files.
The spectrogram overview on the main window now supports floating point arithmetic that can create more precise spectrogram images.
The spectrogram calculation now supports multithreading in order to improve the performance on fast multi-core processors (new option titled "Threads" on the Spectrogram Parameters dialog box).
The frequency cursor on the main window can now also be activated by pulling it out of the top margin of the overview spectrogram.
The metabase display window can now be resized.
The whistle tracking algorithm has been further improved by adding the new option "monotonic" that can now better distinguish between (simple) rapidly frequency-modulated calls and noise.
It is now possible to record from the UltraSoundGate units through the newly implemented ring buffer of the RECORDER USGH software (new option on File/Sound Card Settings...).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.9 (26 March 2012)
- The new "Options"/"Spectrogram Settings..." dialog box allows adjusting the FFT window and color map of the real-time spectrogram, similar to SASLab Pro/Lite.
The new option "Options"/"Display"/"Status display" provides summarizing status information for long-term monitoring applications, which can be sent as compact email messages (from "Monitoring"/"Daily alarm actions..." > "create template for sendEmail.exe!")
- The new trigger option "call class other than "?" allows limiting the triggering to certain call types according to the class defintions made on the command "Options"/"Automated call measurements settings..."
- A gate option has been added to the playlist tool, which allows to limit the playback of the files in the playlist to user-defined daily time intervals.
The whistle tracking algorithm on the Bat Call Filter has been improved by adding the new option "accept only monotonic structures", which can now better disginguish between (simple) frequency-modulated calls and noise.
The new command "Monitoring"/"Ring buffer..." allows accessing the waveforms acquired by the UltraSoundGate hardware in real-time from other custom software via a simple ring buffer (circular buffer) that resides on the hard disk.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.1.23 (24 February 2012)
- An additional GPX/KML export tool on the metabease dialog box allows to export selected fields (columns) of the metabase table (containing GPS coordinates) into common .gpx or .kml waypoint files.
- The command Tools/Labels/Export label data... has been improved in order to facilitate the export of labels for (manual) measurement purposes.
(see manual measurements using labels).
- A "normalize" option has been added to the Graphic Synthesizer command Tools/Scaling...
- A "phase spectrum" option with phase unwrapping capabilities has been added to the "One-dimensional Transformation" tool.
- The "Scan frequency contour and amplitude envelope" command has been added to the batch command.
- The spectrogram cross-correlation classification tool has been further improved.
- The new spectrogram window option "Display"/"Limit measurement decimal places to spectrogram resolution" allows to control the number of the decimal places on the acquired measurement values.
- The spectrogram cross-correlation classification tool can now process more templates (new option "use all template files in the selected folder"), can simultaneously perform automatic parameter measurements and will perform faster when executed in a batch process.
- The spectrogram overview on the main window can now be configured in such a way that short sounds don't disappear in large files (disable the new option 'fast mode' for a more precise spectral envelope display)
- The batch command can now process the files in all subfolders (option "include all subfolders").
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.8 (06 February 2012)
- The previous command “Monitoring” / “Test signal / Daily LOG File Reset…” has been replaced by the revised command “Monitoring” / “Daily alarm actions...", which provides additional options for managing reference signal generators and level measurements in long-term monitoring applications that require regular microphone performance tests.
- The trigger buttons (button1, button2 and button3) can now be remote-controlled via DDE poke (App: RECORDER, Topic: main, Item: button1, Data: "on" or "off") or DDE execute (App: RECORDER, Topic: main, Item: "button1 on" or "button1 off").
- The automatic call classification tool can now add the determined class either as a filename prefix or suffix.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.7 (09 November 2011)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.1.20 (23 August 2011)
- The newly implemented second time derivative in the Automatic Parameter Measurement tool (Location of measurements > more) allows to find reversal points in frequency contours (of bat echolocation calls). See an
- The metabase handling (command Metadata/Create virutal Metadatabase...) has been further improved.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.1.19 (10 August 2011)
- The new option "clock reference pulses on USG DI (LSB)" on the Time Axis Format dialog box can help syncronizing different data aquisition systems.
The new option "Metadata"/"Save changes without prompting" can accelerate the process of entering metadata.
- The new command "File"/"Specials"/"Previous/Next file command settings..." allows to select the desired file order for the Previous/Next file commands.
- The command "File"/"Specials"/"Auto Browse..." can execute the "Next file" command in an automated, timer-controlled way, which might be useful for visually examining large numbers of soundfiles.
Main window command "Analyze"/"Frequency cursor" added.
New buttons on the Metabase Query dialog box allow to copy, delete or rename the .wav files that satisfy the metabase query request. The new query filter options "null" and "not null" allow to select files whose specific metabase fields are either empty or not empty.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.5 (25 July 2011)
- The new command "Monitoring"/"Trigger level calibration..." can be used to adjust the trigger levels in a precise and repeatable way, which is important for acoustic bat monitoring projects at wind energy facilities (see the German
The new command "Monitoring"/"Log file date format" selects the preferred date format (MM/DD/YY, YYYYMMDD or DD.MM.YY).
The new Configuration dialog box option "enable USG TRG button as alternative trigger source" on the RECORDER USGH allows to trigger a recording either by the "level of this channel" or by pressing the USG trigger button.
The dXML metadata functionality has been further improved. The "dXML metadata record" dialog box command "Reset" resets all fields and the command "Save" saves the current record into the previously recorded .wav file (otherwise, any changes made in the "dXML metadata record" panel will only affect the subsequently recorded .wav files).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.2.2 (21 May 2011)
- The newly implemented automated call parameter measurements tool (command Options/Automated call measurements settings...) allows quantifying and classifying the detected calls in real-time. The created measurement log files provide a quick overview on the acquired data, which can certainly be useful for bat monitoring applications at remote field stations with low-bandwidth internet access (GSM, GPRS).
The bat call trigger filter has been improved by adding a hold time parameter that determines how close calls are treated.
The management of the daily (_RECENT) log files has been improved (command "Monitoring"/"Test Signal / Daily log file reset / Run program..."), which now also allows to run external command line programs for sending emails for instance.
The new option "Options"/"Large buttons" simplifies the operation of the software on computers with touchscreens.
The GPS receiver interface has been improved in order to avoid potential problems in conjunction with BlueTooth GPS receivers.
The new acoustic monitor option "digital gain" allows to boost the acoustic output signal, which can be useful in conjunction with the new UltraSoundGate 116Hnb devices that come with a fixed lower gain setting.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.1.14 (21 March 2011)
- Loop playback option implemented (command File/Playback settings...).
- The "Avisoft Bioacoustics" data folder management has been improved in order to manage situations where the default folder /username/Documents cannot be accessed (in case the folder is located on a network drive). As a workaround, the desired path can now be specified in the user-created text file /Program Files/Avisoft Bioacoustics/path.txt.
- Improved navigation through detected elements on the automatic parametere measurements (Crtl+ Left/Right Arrow on the spectrogram window moves the spectrogram view to the previous/next element).
- Improved label editing workflow (labels can now immediatley be deleted by right-clicking at them while the Shift key ist pressed).
- Improved Frequency Countour Template cross-correlation
- A peak-to-peak amplitude option on the Spectrogram Parameters dialog box allows to analyze very short pulses that would otherwise averaged out by the FFT window.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.1.8 (21 January 2011)
- The new option "active low" on the Control Output settings dialog box allows to modify the TTL output signal behavior.
- The new option "create playback log file" on the Playback settings dialog box allows to prevent the creation of the file playback.log.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.1.6 (03 November 2010)
- The newly implemented real-time oversampling option allows to play .wav files having any sample rate lower than 500 kHz directly through the UltraSoundGate Player 116, Player BL Light and Player BL Pro (including USG Player 216H). This new option also enables the direct playback of time-expanded recordings that have a sample rate of for instance 44.1 kHz.
Improved overload indicator
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.1.07 (15 October 2010)
- The command 'Edit'/'Format'/'Sampling Frequency Conversion...' has been expanded for processing multichannel files.
- The newly implemented command 'Edit'/'Insert silent margins...
, which is also available as a batch command option, can insert silent sections at the begin and end of a .wav file.
- The new options 'keep DIO state' on the FIR Filter and Sampling Frequency Conversion commands allow to preserve the UltraSoundGate DIO information (such as time code or trigger signals).
Art Exhibition at Schalter, Berlin (October 2010)
Avisoft Bioacoustics supported the art exhibition "Dissonate" by Evgenija Wassilew more>>
- The new UltraSoundGate Player 216H provides two channel ultrasound playback at a sample rate of 1 MHz. The bundled RECORDER USGH playback software (version 4.1.4 or higher) includes a real-time oversampling tool that allows to play any 16 bit mono or stereo .wav file whose sample rate is <= 1 MHz. The device provides two integrated power amplifiers, which allow to attach two speakers for conducting preference tests.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.1 (27 July 2010)
- The newly added dXML metadata functionality (command Options/dXML metadata input settings...) can embed user-defined database records directly into the recorded .wav files. These XML-formatted metadata records are saved into application-specific "dXML" RIFF chunks of the .wav files, which can subsequently be processed in Avisoft-SASLab Pro (version 5.1 or higher).
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.1 (03 July 2010)
- The new metadata menu on the main window provides advanced metadata handling capabilities. It supports user-defined (XML-based) metadata fields with pick-list and validation options (dXML chunk). Measurement data can now also be stored directly into the .wav files (mXML chunk). A versatile metabase command can collect metadata records from a set of sound files on-the-fly and then subsequently query that virtual database. See also the sample.
JPG sidecar files that should be associated to a particular .wav file can be created by dragging the desired .jpg file into the SASLab Pro main window, which will copy and rename it accordingly.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 5.0 (24 May 2010)
- An additional classification option 'Frequency Contour Templates' (with options for normalized durations and time warping) allows to classify whistle-like vocalizations in a more general way.
A section label option on the Pulse Train Analysis tool ('Group Analysis' > 'use section labels as groups') allows to count pulses that occur within labeled sections.
- New Automatic Parameter Measurements option 'Harmonic-to-noise ratio' implemented.
- The new option 'relative stddev of entire element' in the Automatic Parameter Measurements allows to quantify for instance frequency or amplitude modulation.
- The newly implemented 'time derivative' parameters in the Automatic Parameter Measurements tool that are available through the 'more...' button can help to quantify frequency changes within whistle-like calls.
The CORRELATOR module (version 3.0) can now also process one-dimensional data such as waveforms, envelopes and spectra.
The newly implemented LANC and SMPTE time code decoding options (Analyze/Time axis format...) allow to synchronize video with (ultra)sound recordings more easily. In addition to that, time code information can also be extracted from the "bext" metadata chunk of the .wav file header.
New new command File/Rename allows renaming existing sound files, which can be supported by user-defined text modules. These text modudles can also be accessed from the labeling dialog box. An unlimited number of additional text modules can be imported from a text file (menu 'File'/'Rename by text module/Define text module'/'External text file').
The command 'Tools'/'Labels'/'Georeference labels...' and it's batch version can now also take filename prefixes (that are separated by space characters) as species references, which can for instance support documenting bat field surveys. If the species labels / filename prefixes match the text modules defined from 'File'/'Rename by text module / Define text module', then the created .kml file will contain species-specific icons. See also the Avisoft Bat Survey sample.
The batch classification commands now allow to add the detected class names to the original .wav file names, which can improve the file handling, certainly for processing field survey data that are further processed by the above 'Georeference labels' command.
The new command 'File'/'Specials'/'Edit BWF (bext chunk) Metadata...' allows to view and edit metadata according to the Broadcast Wave Format standard.
The command 'File'/'Specials'/'Georeference .wav files...' has been further improved and now allows to save the GPS coordinates directly into the BWF .wav file header as metadata. A log file output can assist troubleshooting time stamp deviations. See also the Bird Species Map sample.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 4.0 (31 May 2010)
- LANC and SMPTE time code signals fed into the UltraSoundGate digital inputs can be decoded, displayed and can be used as a trigger source.
- RECORDER USGH now also supports old UltraSoundGate 116 units that were manufactured before 2004 (firmware versions 1.x)
- User-defined text modules for entering comments or filename prefixes can simplify the documentation of surveys.
- FFT overlap capabilities implemented for imroved temporal resolutions of real-time spectrograms
- Additional whistle tracking options now also allow detecting frequency-modulated signals. In passive bat monitoring applications, the newly implemented Bat Call Trigger Filter tool (command Options/Bat call trigger filter settings...) can efficiently avoid unwanted triggering on broad-band insect songs or rain drops.
The .wav file header now includes a 'bext' chunk (complying with the broadcast wave format (BWF) standard) that contains the creation date, time reference and GPS coordinates, which can be read by third-party sound editing applications.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.53 (22 January 2010)
- An additional smoothing option in the Graphic Synthesizer tool allows to create more natural synthetic vocalizations.
- The new batch processing options 'Sort files using APM classes', 'Sort files using template spectrograms (triggered CCF)' and 'Sort files using template spectrograms (continuous CCF)'
provide support for reviewing large amounts of automatically triggered sound files.
- The new command 'Edit'/'Synthesizer'/'Insert while noise...' and 'Insert pink noise...' simplify the creation of noise signals. Graphic Synthesizer .ARR files can now also be opened by drag & drop.
- The spectrogram window 'Tools'/'Remove erased spectrogram sections from waveform' has been improved in order to minimize distortions. Depending on the selected parameter settings, this command can now function very smoothly.
- The new Spectrogram Export Parameters option 'create multiple (page) files' allows to save very long spectrograms into a series of individual .wmf, .tif or .bmp graphics files.
- The new command "Edit"/"Format"/"Restore the original time scale of a time-expanded recording..." and the associated batch command option allow preparing time-expanded bat detector recordings for playback more easily.
- Anti-aliasing option added to the Graphic synthesizer.
- Zero phase FIR filter option added.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 3.4.2 (08 January 2010)
- Digitally signed UltraSoundGate device drivers now also support the Windows x64 editions.
- Automatic offset compensation for the UltraSoundGate recording hardware implemented.
- The recording level meters now have a logarithmic scale.
- The new command Options/Configuration management/Presets provides a few application-specific configuration presets.
- A high-pass filter option has been added for removing low-frequency noise.
- An additional 'Gate with' trigger option expands its versatility for certain applications (e.g. combining a time program with an external TTL signal).
- The new trigger option 'reject wind/rain' can help to prevent undesired excessive triggering while more or less stationary broad-band noise signals are present.
- The time program option has been further expanded for adjusting the time intervals relative to the current sunrise or sunset.
- The playlist command now offers a timetable option for playing .wav files at predefined absolute clock times.
- The file name options have been further expanded.
- The new command 'Play'/'Playback Volume...' allows to modify the playback level digitally.
- The new 'RECORDER USGH NIDAQmx DIO' version allows to use the UltraSoundGate units along with additional National Intruments Digital I/O units such as the NI USB-6501 in order to extend the number of available digital input and output lines.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.52 (02 June 2009)
- The playback functionality has been revised in order to enable playing back individual tracks of multichannel sound files (new command File/Playback settings...).
- The calibration command has been improved in order to simplify absolute sound pressure level measurements with calibrated microphones/hydrophones (command Tools/Calibration...).
- Voice note .wav files created by the new RECORDER software option "voice notes" can now be displayed and played in SASLab Pro.
- The command 'Edit'/'Filter'/'Frequency Domain Transformation...' > 'Lowpass' has got an additonal option titled '1/f' that allows to convert white noise into pink noise.
- Octave and Third-Octave Analysis options have been implemented (command Analyze/One-dimensional Transformation...)
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 3.4 (22 May 2009)
- The newly implemented GPS option (Options/GPS settings) allows to attach any NMEA compatible GPS receiver (either a Bluetooth GPS receiver, a USB GPS mouse or a handheld GPS unit) to the notebook PC in order to simultaneously acquire the geographic locations of the recorded .wav files. The resulting log files are common .gpx or .kml files that can be imported into GIS applications such as Google Earth. See also the RECORDER page.
- A new batch mode supports processing large numbers of animals in drug testing procedures.
- Addional file name options added.
- In order to simplify the configuration management, the default configuration files now reside in the folder ...username/Documents/Avisoft Bioacoustics/Configurations/RECORDER (before they were located in the hidden folder C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Avisoft Bioacoustics).
- The external digital trigger sources can now be inversed in order to enable active high TTL logic.
- The UltraSoundGate models 116H, 416H, 816H and 1218H (with the new firmware version 1.1) can now be configured to ouput the internal RECORDER USGH software trigger state through the TRG socket, which enables the synchronization with other recording systems.
- GPS coordinates are now also written directly into the .wav file header ('GPS ' chunk).
- Labeling functionality added (commands 'Monitoring'/'LOG file comment', 'Options'/'Create labels from digital input events...', 'Options'/'USV monitoring setup wizard...')
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.51 (29 January 2009)
- The dynamic range of the spectrogram display has been increased in order to better visualize low-level sounds.
- The Graphic Synthesizer has got the new command 'Tools'/'Copy contour...' that allows to copy the contour of one parameter to another.
- The software can now directly open the unusual .wav file format of the Pettersson BatSound software.
- The new command 'File'/'Specials'/'Remove channels...' allows to remove one or more channels from multichannel files
- The newly implemented command 'Tools'/'Labels'/'Georeference labels...' can plot sound file labels (that represent species) on a map, which can be useful for analyzing field surveys.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.50 (24 October 2008)
- The new options 'Power spectrum (averaged)' and 'Power spectrum (level units, averaged)' on the 'One-dimensional Transformation' have been implemented in order to support the calculation of average spectra over very large periods of time.
- The log file tool ('Tools'/'DDE Parameters / Log File...') has been improved by adding the new file formats .xml and .sql, which simplifies the measurement data export to external databases.
- The batch processing tool (command 'Tools'/'Batch processing...') now allows to process entire folders (option "process all .wav files in the selected folder")
- The command 'File'/'Specials'/'File properties...' can now display the GPS coordinates created by the RECORDER software.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.40 (21 June 2008)
- The new auto scroll command supports reviewing long spectrograms without repeatedly clicking at the scroll bar (spectrogram window command Tools/Scroll/auto scroll).
- The classification batch processing commands (including the Automatic Parameter Measurements with activated classification option) now provide a summarizing table that displays the number of indentified elements of each class for each processed sound file.
- A georeferencing tool for combining geographic coordinates (acquired by a handheld GPS receiver) with the sound files recorded by a digital field recorder has been added (command File/Specials/Georeference .wav files...). The created .gpx or .kml files contain the filenames and coordinates of the sound files, which can be displayed in GIS applications such as Google Earth. In this way, the navigation through sound files that have been recorded during field surveys can be simplified.
- In order to simplify the configuration management, the default configuration files now reside in the folder ...username/Documents/Avisoft Bioacoustics/Configurations/SASLab (before they were located in the hidden folder C:/Users/username/AppData/Roaming/Avisoft Bioacoustics).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 3.3 (27 December 2007)
- The new USV real-time monitoring option for counting and measuring rat or mice ultrasonic vocalizations provides instant results on the acquired USVs. Various descriptive statistics items such as the total number, total duration, mean duration or standard deviation of the detected USVs can be reported (screen shot).
- New 'whistle tracking' trigger option for detecting soft whistle-like signals that are buried in the background noise floor.
- New 'permanent (limited)' trigger option for applications that require specific pre-defined recording durations.
- The 'UltraSoundGate DI' trigger (RECORDER USG and USGH versions) now provides exact sample precise external triggering.
- Simultaneous sound activated triggering on multichannel audio interfaces with several logic stereo pairs now works correctly.
- New test signal playback tool for testing the equipment in long-term monitoring applications.
- Introducing the new single-channel UltraSoundGate devices USG 116Hb, 116H and 116Hm, which can be operated at sample rates of up to 1 MHz at 16 bit resolution. The top-of-the-line model 116Hm has been further shrunk for convenient hand-held use without sacrificing its ruggedness.
- Introducing new bus-powered multichannel UltraSoundGate devices USG 416H, 816H and 1216H, which provide up to 12 channels that can be sampled at up to 750 kHz at 16 bit resolution.
- Introducing the bus-powered UltraSoundGate Player 116 that provides a 16 bit D/A converter and an adjustable power amplifier in a single box. This product enables mobile playback in the field on new laptop computers that do not have a PC-Card slot (PCMCIA) for the NI-DAQCard 6062E anymore.
- Introducing two new compact electrostatic speakers that are suited for playing back very high ultrasonic signals.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.40 (03 November 2007)
- The software now uses the standard Windows folders for program files, application data (configuration files and temporary data) and documents (sound files, measurement results, etc.).
It is therefore no longer required to run the software with administrator rights.
- The new batch command "Classify .wav or .son files (show results in a single table)" allows to classify either sound files (.wav) or proviously saved binary spectrogram files (.son) by using the spectrogram image cross correlation technique. Both the class assignments and the underlying cross correlation coefficients will be displayed in a single table.
- The new command "File/Specials/Join .wav files from playlist..." allows to join the .wav files that are listed in a playlist file (.txt or .m3u) into a single .wav file.
- The spectrogram display procedures have been optimized for Windows Vista.
- Additional option on "Location of measurements" in the Automatic Parameter Measurements tool: "Mean param. of entire element".
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 3.2 (17 August 2007)
- RECORDER USGH now supports the new high-speed UltraSoundGate models 416H, 816H, 1216H and Player116.
- In the single-channel mode, the real-time sprectrogram display now exploits the entire area of the application window (multiple rows).
- The real-time spectrogram display procedures have been optimized for Windows Vista.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 3.0 (03 May 2007)
- The new Avisoft-RECORDER USGH software now fully supports UltraSoundGate devices in Windows Vista (the previous RECORDER USG software is not compatible to Windows Vista). See the .pdf document USGx16 on Windows Vista.pdf
- The software now uses the standard Windows folders for program files, application data (configuration files and temporary data) and documents (sound files, measurement results, etc.).
It is therefore no longer required to run the software with administrator rights.
- The playlist command now also supports common .M3U playlist files.
- The additional syllable duration threshold parameter can help to optimize the automated recording process.
- The new 'Enlarge y axis' parameter improves the real-time spectrogram display on small laptop computers or UMPCs.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.39 (23 February 2007)
- Linear Predictive Coding (LPC) analysis options have been added to the spectrogram window ("LPC" option on the Spectrogram Parameters panel) and to the one-dimensional amplitude and power spectrum displays.
- The command File/Specials/'Next file' has been improved (if there are no incrementing numbers in the file names, the next file will be indentified from the file creation date attributes).
- New command "Edit"/"Remove DC Offset"
- The new Spectrogram Export Parameters dialog box option "enable envelope curve amplitude scale" provides a scale bar for the waveform display.
- The previously fixed step display mode of the waveform display in the main window can now be deactivated (option "Analyze"/"Step waveform display mode"). Deactivating this new option will provide a smoother waveform display.
- A new section label import command allows to import section labels (start, end and label text) from common tab-delimited .txt files.
- A few bugs in the classification option of the Automatic Parameter Measurement tool and teh Graphic Synthesizer have been fixed.
- The new option "remove modulation" in the Scaling command of the Graphic Synthesizer now allows to remove AM or FM from re-synthesized playback stimuli more easily.
- A frequency statistics option has been added to the "Scan frequency contour and amplitude envelope..." command.
- The classification commands Analyze/Specials/"Detect and classify waveformevents..." and "Scan for template spectrogram patterns..." have been improved and added to the batch command (Tools/Batch processing).
This addition certainly allows to search large numbers of sound files for specific signals (e.g specific calls).
- Three new batch command options have been implemented ("Save one-dimensional transformations into a single ASCII file", "Save mean spectra into a single ASCII file" and "Noise reduction filter").
- New command File/Specials/"Join .wav files..."
- The additional Automatic Parameter Measurements threshold "Reject if peak ampl. < ... dB" enables more reliable results for the parameters "peak freq(minentire)" and "peak freq(maxentire)"
- The Graphic Synthesizer allows to scale single elements individually (by right-clicking at the specific parameter of the element)"
- The channels in multichannel files can now be calibrated individualy.
- The new low-pass option in the spectrogram window command Display/Cut-Off Frequencies... allows to limit the Automatic Parameter Measurements to certain frequency intervals.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.97 (23 February 2007)
- A new trigger option "any channel (OR)" improves the capabilities for simultaneously recording from microphone or hydrophone arrays.
- The newly implemented command 'Monitoring'/'Shut down time...' allows to shut down the computer at a pre-defined time each day. In conjunction with the RTC Alarm option that is avalaible in the BIOS setup of many computers, it is possible to switch on the computer for a limited period of time each day.
- Improved offline .wav file processing capabilities: The new option 'no output - process as fast as possible' that has been added to the 'Device' list box on the 'Out dev...' dialog box accelerates the offline processing of .wav files.
- Playback LOG file implemented.
- Playlist/Autostart option added.
- The NI-DAQmx RECORDER version now supports low-cost digital I/O devices (NI USB-6501) for triggering playbacks (via standard WDM audio interfaces) by external TTL signals.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.38 (25 January 2006)
- An additional option on the Automatic Parameter Measurement setup dialog allows to enable the spectrum-based parameters individually for each location. This location-specific parameter selection can improve the clearness of the measurements because it is possible to disable unwanted and irrelevant combinations of parameters and locations.
- The "Derived Parameter" capabilities of the Automatic Parameter Measurement tool have been extended (additional parameter "0").
- A few optimizations in the Automatic Parameter Measurement tool accelerate the processing of very long spectrograms.
- The user will be prompted to save changes before closing a modified file.
- Optional clock time display on the time axis of waveforms and spectrograms (command Analyze/Time axis format/hh:mm:ss.sssss).
- The maximum number of harmonics in the Graphic synthesizer has been expanded to 24.
- Instantaneous frequency and zero-croosing analysis plots (from the One-dimensional transformation command) can now be displayed in the Graphic Synthesizer window as a background graph.
- The Automatic Parameter Measurement matrix results can be copied in transposed order.
- Autocorrelation method (ACF) added for fundamental frequency determination in the Automatic Parameter Measurements tool.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.37 (15 July 2005)
- The new "Scan for template spectrogram patterns" command provides a continuous spectrogram cross correlation tool for identifying spectrogram patterns in noisy recordings, where the "Detect and classify waveform" command does not work satisfying.
- The calibration command has been expanded for selectable reference sound levels (1 or 20 µPa).
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.96c (16 June 2005)
- The 'time program' trigger has been expanded to 8 independent time programs (user-defined time tables). Each time program now provides up to 6 intervals (increased from 4 to 6).
- Improved LOG file comment facilities (time-stamp mode).
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.36 (22 March 2005)
Automatic Parameter Measurements :
- The new element separation option "automatic (whistle tracking)" further improves the capabilities for detecting soft rat ultrasonic vocalisations (USV) in noisy environments.
See the tutorial for details.
- A second threshold option allows to measue bandwidths at two separate thresholds.
- The option "show threshold" activates a graphic display of the element separation threshold, which improves the transparency of the threshold setting (screen shot).
- Improved and accelerated handling of long spectrograms, new numeric display option (screen shot).
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.35b (07 March 2005)
- The new 'File Open Settings...' dialog (on the File menu) provides a few options for optimizing the handling of large sound files. Certainly the 'temp directory' edit box allows to select a RAM disk for saving the temporary files. This can significantly accelerate the processing of large sound files. Free RAM disk software is for instance available from www.arsoft-online.de .
- Improved frequency axis grid on the main window display.
- The new command Edit/Append allows to append the clipboard content to the end of the file.
- The sound level display mode on the One-dimensional Transformation panel is now referenced to the RMS level (3 dB lower than the peak level). The new Level Display Mode dialog on the Display menu of the spectrogram window provides various level display options (peak, RMS or spectrum level)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.34 (01 February 2005)
- A peak (or dominant) frequency option in the Pulse Train Analysis tool expands the analysis capabilties certainly for frog calls.
- An additional post filter option in the Automatic Parameter Measurements allows to exclude unwanted short and/or broad-band cracks from the analysis.
- The new group analysis option in the Automatic Parameter Measurements tool provides additional measurements on the temporal structure of phrases.
- Impoved capabilities for analyzing the temporal structure of subsequent soundfiles (numbered sound event files created by Avisoft-RECORDER). The new option 'inflate breaks' on File/Specials/'Re-assembling settings...' can speed up the analysis of long sequences (when disabling this option).
See the principle of the available file display options.
- The command Edit/'Change volume...' can now either be applied to the current marker or alternatively to all section labels.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.95 (30 December 2004)
- The National Instruments NI-DAQmx driver model has been implemented (executable rec_nimx.exe). This driver supports both M-series and E-series DAQ devices.
- A new 'permanent' trigger mode simplifies the operation of the software for applications that do not require any triggering.
- Multichannel playback capabilities (for soundcards) have been added.
- A "Control Output" option for controlling external devices has been added.
- Configuration file managment commands have been added in order to simplify switching between various parameter settings.
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.94 (03 September 2004)
- New .wav file name options (date and time)
- User-defined keyboard shortcuts
- External triggering of playback
- Interactive playback of playlist entries via keyboard
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.33 (05 July 2004)
- Improved command for extracting frequency contours from
spectrograms (spectrogram window command Tools/'Scan frequency
contour and amplitude envelope'). The new export capabilities
enable subsequent statistical analysis of frequency contours (e.g.
for comparing signature whistles). See a sample screen
- The new command Tools/Labels/'Label statistics' provides
various statistics on labels (including duty cycle versus time)
- A 'Max Spectrum' option is now available from the 'Additional
Spectrogram Information' dialog box.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.32 (16 June 2004)
- Introducing a new cross-correlation classification command
(Tools/Labels/"Classify labeled sections..." and
Analyze/Specials/"Detect and classify waveform events...") for
automated identification of sound events. The classification
algorithm is based on a template spectrogram comparison. See the
classification report screen shot.
- A new element separation option in the Automatic Parameter
Measurements allows to use separate thresholds for locating the
start and the end of an element (which is certainly useful for
analyzing bat echolocation calls).
- Export of labels as ASCII-formatted binary time series data.
- Improved handling of the Automatic Parameter Measurements
- New Automatic Parameter Measurements option for measuring the
locations (time stamps) of minimum and maximum parameters ("Min /
Max param. of entire element","t"). See example
for measuring the locations of min and max peak frequencies).
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.31 (27 April 2004)
- A new compressing command (Edit/Compress/Remove silent
sections) allows to remove silent sections between sound events
(e.g. bat calls) automatically. The reduced amount of data can
then accelerate the analysis of large sound files. Similarly, it
is now possible to automatically create section labels from sound
events (Tools/Labels/Create section labels from waveform events).
- Emulation of frequency division bat detecors for comparing the
output signals of time-expansion bat detectrors and frequency
division detectors (command File/Specials/Frequency Division Bat
UltraSoundGate 116-200 (17 April 2004)
- Introduction of a complete kit for recording ultrasound in air
(see USG 116-200 and the UltraSoundGate
advertising flyer). The newly designed condenser microphone and the
additional polarization voltage supply circuit that has been
added to the UltraSoundGate 116-200 provide superior sound
quality for recording bat calls.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.3 (22 March 2004)
- The new Pulse Train Analysis command (see example)
improves the abilities for the automated analysis of amplitude
envelope patterns. Various options help accelerate for instance
the temporal analysis of frog calls, grasshopper songs or dolphin
clicks. Additionally, simple counting of vocalizations or
measuring on-set duration's as required in drug testing is also
available. The new command is available from the menu
Analysis/'Pulse Train Analysis...'. A batch process (Tools/Batch
processing) allows to process several sound files at once.
UltraSoundGate hydrophone accessories (24 January 2004)
- In order to simplify the operation of hydrophones, two
dedicated hydrophone interface boxes are now available (see the
page on Accessories for Connecting Hydrophones) .
- A specific envelope tracking option has been added to the
Avisoft-RECORDER software for acoustically monitoring cetacean
UltraSoundGate microphones (30 December 2003)
- Introduction of a new line of externally polarized ultrasound
condenser microphones (see the page on Ultrasound microphones). These new microphone
options will further enhance the versatility of the UltraSoundGate
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.9 (14 August 2003)
- 32 bit format option for National Instruments DSA devices (NI
- Delay option added to the Playlist feature
- In the configuration dialog box, a new Copy button allows to
copy the settings of one channel to all other active
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.23 (01 July 2003)
- New editing commands (Cut & Paste) in the Graphics
- An optional Y axis grid in the main window may speed-up the
evaluation of sounds.
- A new section label command allows transferring gate function
analysis results into section labels.
- An additional export parameter option ('hide y axis') in the
one-dimensional transformation window adds more flexibily.
- New horizontal cursors in the curve window provide enhanced
measurement facilities on the One-dimensional transformation
- Improved facilities for comparing sound files: A cursor
linkage option connects cursors throughout instances of the SASLab
software (see example)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.22 (28 April 2003)
- A color mapping display showing the magnitude in dB has been
added to the spectrogram window (see example)
- The new spectrogram axis labeling option supports commonly
used styles (see example)
- Import of 24 bit .wav files (automatic normalization to the
internal 16 bit format)
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.8 (25 February 2003)
- 24 bit recording format added
- Extended support for multi-channel soundcards
UltraSoundGate re-designed (12 February 2003)
- The UltraSoundGate product family has completely been
re-designed for improved performance and additional features (peak
level meter; additional sampling rates complying with the audio
standard : 96, 192 and 384 kHz; optional phantom feeding (P48) for
high-quality condenser microphones; the trigger button is now
represented as a standard joystick button)
- At the same time, the prices of all UltraSoundGate devices
have been reduced dramatically. Further educational discounts are
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.2 (09 December 2002)
- Extended functionality for time-delay-of-arrival measurements
- New "Magic reticule cursor" mode for measuring sound
parameters interactively (see tutorial)
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.7 (16 August 2002)
- Acoustic monitoring options for high-speed acquistion cards
and soundcards allows listening to inaudible ultrasound signals in
real-time (heterodyne or aliasing technique)
- Real-time frequency measurements can be issued by voice
messages through the soundcard (suited for bat surveys)
- New playback options for immediate playback (echo) of recorded
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.61 (19 May 2002)
- Playback option supporting both soundcards and high-speed data
acquisition boads (NI E-series, e.g. DAQCard 6062E and Avisoft
- Play list option for playing several files subsequently
- Freeze display command for inspecting the real-time
- "Track peak frequency" option for real-time frequency
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.14 (03 June 2002)
- Improved real-time spectrograph : peak-hold recording level
meter, max FFT size increased to 1024, frequency and time
measurement cursor and buttons for quicker spectrogram contrast
adjustment, the new option "File"/"Save into numbered .wav file
and increment" will support quick pre-trigger harddisk recording
of sporadic sound events
- The main-window recording command now provides real-time
- The filter bandwidth of spectrograms can be set directly from
the Spectrogram Parameters dialog
- New editing commands: File/Specials/'Insert .wav file',
'Append .wav file', 'Swap channels' and special commands for
- The Automatic Response option is now available in the standard
version at no extra costs and a new option supports multichannel
- New classification method based on linear discrimination
- The recording buffer of the real-time spectrogram can now be
captured by pressing a joystick button
- The new option "File"/"Specials"/"Don't work on copies of
opened .wav files" will accelerate opening large .wav
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.52 (14 March 2002)
- Optional input from a WAV file for scanning large disk files
(this feature may also be used for accelerating the process of
finding the best trigger parameter settings)
- Frequency and time measurement cursor
- Event files are now saved with high-precision time stamps,
enabling sample-precise re-assembling of consecutive files in
- Maximum spectrogram FFT size is now 1024 points
- Optional grid in spectrogram and waveform display
- 8-bit mode implemented for high-speed applications with USG
116 and US416
- Peak-amplitude display for more precise recording level
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 4.0 (26 November 2001)
- Long filename support (up to 256 characters)
- The FFT length in One-dimensional transformations,
cross-correlations and FFT-filters has been extended from 32k to 2
- New eraser cursor mode for improved editing of spectrograms
(Tools/Cursors/Standard eraser cursor) and undo facility
- New command for removing erased spectrogram structures also
from the underlying .wav file (Tools/Remove erased spectrogram
sections from waveform). This command will allow you to filter out
single disturbance signals or harmonics manually, even if these
are inside the frequency range of the signals you are interested
- Several bugs have been fixed
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.95e (15 October 2001)
- Soundfile compression option for files with large silent
sections between vocalizations (e.g. bat echolocation calls) for
better handling and easier measuring of temporal parameters
(Command 'Edit'/'Compress'). Fast switching between compressed and
expanded view (see also the tutorial).
- New way to input section labels more quickly by left-clicking
plus shift key
- New Browse command for comfortable navigation through sound
- Labels and titles can now be saved directly into .wav
- Event files created by Avisoft-RECORDER (version 2.4 or later)
can be re-assembled into larger continuous files for precise
temporal measurements (File/Specials/Re-assembling
- New Automatic Response option (increment RECORDER file number)
for event filtering in Avisoft-RECORDER.
- New options in the Automatic Parameter Measurements: 'Location
of measurements'/'regular intervals of duration / n' and 'Waveform
parameters': root mean square, energy, peak-to-peak amplitude.
- For more precise Automatic Parameter Measurements in signals
with varying amplitudes a new element separation mode with two
thresholds has been implemented. For better adjustment, the
thresholds can now be modified incrementally by buttons (see also
- New option for section labels: Section label grid for more
precise temporal investigations
- The spectrogram window reticule cursor can now be moved by the
arrow keys (To enable this new option, the current
configuration must be either reset 'File'/'Configuration'/'Reset'
or the appropriate keyboard shortcuts must be defined manually for
'Tools'/'Cursors'/'(Move reticule cursor by one pixel)'
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.3b (19 September 2001)
- Support for the new Avisoft-UltraSoundGate hardware implemented
- An additional entropy parameter threshold allows to prevent
triggering caused by broad-band disturbance signals (e.g. insect
noise when recording bat echolocation calls)
- Entering text comments into the LOG files is now possible for
- Multichannel streams can optionally be saved into single
multichannel .wav files (in order to ensure the phase relationship
- A time program option allows to record (or enable
sound-activated recording) according to a pre-defined time table
(e.g. for recording each day from 5:00 to 7:30).
Introducing the UltraSoundGate system (July 2001)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.94c (6 July 2001)
- Support for the new Avisoft-UltraSoundGate hardware implemented
- New option in the Automatic Parameter Measurements: 'Delete
gaps between detected elements'
- Improved spectrogram time axis scaling for very high sample
rates (>500 kHz)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.93d (18 April 2001)
- Main and spectrogram window display during scrolling (pan)
- Frequency cursors can be added to exported spectrograms
- New one-dimensional transformation option for extracting
frequency response curves from sine sweep signals
- Fundamental frequency output added to the Spectral
Characteristics window. The synthesizer Scan spectrogram command
now also supports fundamental frequency extraction.
- New Import Format option for reading 32 bit floating point
format files (e.g. for importing Canary files)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.92 (12 January 2001)
- User-defined keyboard shortcuts and popup menus for easier
access to frequently-used commands (Actions/Keyboard Shortcuts and
- Noise Reduction command for improving noisy recordings
- Lorenz plot for evaluating temporal patterns of pulse
- Entropy option added to the Automatic Parameter
- Avisoft-RECORDER now supports high-speed data acquisition
boards by Data Translation. Additionally, a low-cost version of
Avisoft-RECORDER for single-channel applications is available
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.91 (25 November 2000)
- Fundamental frequency option added to the Automatic Parameter
- An autogain option in the spectrogram display parameter dialog
box provides optimal usage of color tables
- Avisoft-RECORDER, version 2.0 now supports sampling rates up
to 500kHz with various high-speed data acquisition boards
(National Instruments, ComputerBoards, ines)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.9d (23 October 2000)
- The commands Change Volume, Time Domain IIR and FIR filter can
now be applied to stereo or multichannel files. Processing of both
single channels or all channels of a multichannel file is
- Optional axis titles now support more common graphic formats
for one-dimensional transformations (see example)
- 3D Spectrogram (see example)
- 2D and 3D Scatterplots showing the distribution of Automatic
Parameter Measurements are now available in order to support
choosing class boundaries and exploring dependencies between
parameters. (see example)
- Optional Automatic Response facility supports automated
playback experiments. The event classes determined by the
Automatic Parameter Measurements can be connected to pre-recorded
.wav files or different echo modes (filter, resynthesis for
frequency shift and modulation). (see
- Real-time classification facility combines the Real-Time
Spectrograph with the Automatic Parameter Measurements
- New HTML log file format allows to inspect measurements
directly from a WEB browser.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.84 (October 2000)
- A new peak frequency detection algorithm supports measurement
precisions beyond the spectrum/spectrogram resolution
- Automatic Parameter Measurements extended: sub-element
counting for analysis of phrases, measuring the distance from
start to maximum, derived element-based parameters for measuring
the extend of frequency modulation (upward or downward, rising
- New Save/Load command in the Classification Settings dialog in
order to simplify the handling of classification settings.
- Avisoft-CORRELATOR now supports aligned averaging of
spectrograms previously saved in SASLab Pro from 'File'/'Save
spectrogram...'. Averaged spectrograms can be opened in SASLab
from 'Analyze'/'Open spectrogram...'
- Configuration file handling improved.
- New format options for section labels: layer1 | layer2 |
layer3 | total, which support hierarchic or overlapped labels.
- Label input and editing in the spectrum view
- New options 'Actions'/'On program start', which automate some
- Graphic Synthesizer / 'Scan Spectrogram': Accuracy of the
fundamental frequency extraction improved, occasional bug fixed,
optional static sample point reduction for regular spaced
measurements of peak frequency and peak amplitude.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.83 (September 2000)
- Statistics options added to the Automatic Parameter
Measurements: minimum, maximum, mean, median, standard deviation
and histogram display.
- Interactive element separation added to the Automatic
Parameter Measurements. Section labels can now be used to measure
noisy elements, which can not be recognized automatically.
- The results of the automatic element separation can now be
used to save the detected elements into separated numbered .wav
files and can also be used to automatically create section
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.82 (August 2000)
- Classification facility added to the Automatic Parameter
Measurements. This new option may be either used for automatic
species recognition or note type classification.
- New option in the real-time spectrograph automatic recording
facility: Save all events into a single file
- Adjustable vertical size of the additional spectrogram
information along the time axis
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.81 (July 2000)
- Real-time spectrogram display improved: overlap, y-scale
enlargement, down-sampling for low frequency signal analysis,
recording level display, overload flag, unlimited streaming into
- Spectrum level scaling for power spectrum display to the
One-dimensional Transformation menu added
- Zero-crossing analysis option to the One-dimensional
Transformation menu added
- New "File"/"Shred into numbered files" command for cutting of
long sound files.
- New "Tools"/"Zoom out time axis" command for better navigation
in long and high-resolution spectrograms.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.8 (April 2000)
- Labeling facility for displaying single point and time section
labels (see spectrogram with labels)
- High resolution scaling ticks in spectrograms
- Title option in waveform and spectrogram output
- Graphic editing of amplitude envelope files (.at) and
userdefined frequency response files (.flf) in FIR and FFT
- Stereo->Mono command improved
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.75 (March 2000)
- Improved Automatic Parameter Measurement (Displacement for
Start and Stop locations)
- Enhanced resolution of x and y scaling ticks in the curve
- Redo command for repeating of previous commands (menu
- File properties and statistics function (menu "File"/"File
- New options for opening WAV files directly from the
spectrogram window (menu "WavFile"). Additionally the buttons of
the spectrogram window and the entire main window can be hidden in
order to save space on the desktop for simultaneous spectrogram
display (menu "Display"/"Hide buttons", "Hide main window").
- Improved handling of configurations
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.74 (November 1999)
- Curve window export facilities improved (printing of waveforms
spread over several lines and pages).
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.73 (October 1999)
- Real time spectrum display implemented (menu option
"File"/"Real Time Spectrum...").
- Automatic parameter measurement improved.
- Reduce image option in the spectrogram window implemented.
- Pulse train generator added to the synthesizer module.
- Time/Pitch Conversion allows to speed-up and slow-down sounds
by none-integer factors without changing the sampling
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.7 (September 1999)
- Automatic parameter measurement facility added (see menu
Tools/Automatic parameter measurement setup... in the spectrogram
- Improved scaling and new options in spectrogram output. (see
menu Spectrogram Export Parameters)
- Improved marker behaviour in both the main and spectrogram
window (marked time sections can now exceed the visible section
and will not be removed by scrolling).
- Harmonic cursor in the One-dimensional window and new peak
detection facility in the Spectral Characteristics window
- Noise generator added to the synthesizer module.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.6 (May 1999)
- Real-time display from *.wav file with simultaneous playback
- Energy and RMS calculation from marked waveform sections.
- ZooIn and ZoonOut functions added to the main
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.5 (November 1998)
- Remote control from Avisoft-RECORDER added.
- Support for quick navigating through numbered WAV files
generated by Avisoft-RECORDER. (File/Previous File, Next file)
- Improved sampling rate conversion (up- and down-sampling to
Avisoft-RECORDER, version 1.0 (November 1998)
- Introducing Avisoft-RECORDER, a sotware tool for triggered long-term recording on PC's.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.4e (September 1998)
- Gate function for the analysis of temporal patterns
implemented (One-dimensional Transformation).
- New option in batch processing: Save ASCII/Binary
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.4 (March 1998)
- Enhanced resolution of envelope plots in printed
- New sound file formats for reading and writing: NeXT/SUN
(*.AU/*SND), Apple (*.AIF/*.SND).
- 'Scan Spectrogram' function in the Graphic Synthesizer allows
resynthesis of spectrograms.
- Time and Frequency parameters in the Graphic Synthesizer can
be scaled independently using the new 'Time and Frequency Scaling'
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.3 (January 1998)
- Print option in the curve window implemented.
- The appearance of exported curve window graphs can be
- Problems in loading of some *.WAV file versions solved.
- Conversion between 8- and 16-bit sound file
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.2 (December 1997)
- Improved printing: Very large spectrograms can be printed on
several pages, absolute spectrogram size is adjustable in
millimeters, the frequency range displayed on the spectrogram can
be adjusted, optional signature, bug (occasional crashes after
- Batch processing supports printing and saving of spectrograms,
filtering of sound files and saving of One-dimensional
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.1 (November 1997)
- Automatic Recording: Each time a predefined threshold is
exceeded within a certain frequency range a new *.WAV file is
generated and the signals will be saved onto the harddisk for a
selectable hold-time. This mode of operation is useful for long
- Normalizing of waveforms in order to generate comparable
spectrograms from recordings made with different recording
- Trim function supports quick removal of undesired parts from
the WAV file.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 3.0 (June 1997)
- Real-time spectrogram scroll mode implemented
- Manual Erase-mode in the spectrogram window. This allows to
remove undesired structures from the spectrogram image.
- Harmonic cursor in the spectrogram window. This supports the
determination of the harmonic structure (fundamental frequency) of
- Enhanced amplitude manipulation (tapering, limiting,
multiplying and dividing by files).
- Manual sample point editing in the main window. Editing (cut,
paste, ...) can be done more accurate.
- Graphical input of cutoff-frequencies in the filter dialogues
from the spectrogram or spectrum display using cursors. This
improves the usability of the filter functions.
- Undo of editing actions
- Synthesizer: Generation of harmonic signals by mouse drawing
of the parameter evolution (fundamental frequency, amplitudes of
harmonics, frequency and amplitude modulation)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 2.75 (January 1997)
- Memory allocation bug in Real-time display and Print function
- Bug in the userdefined file-import function of 10-, 12- and
14-bit binary data in offset format fixed.
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 2.74
- Bug in "Save ASCII-Spectrogram" function fixed (caused an
error in the Correlator module)
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 2.73
- New FFT-windows: KaiserBessel and Gauss
- FFT-window and Selectivity preview in the
Spectrogram Parameter dialogue
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 2.6 (September 1996)
- FIR filter implemented
- Two-channel Real-time spectrogram display and stereo display
in the main window introduced
Avisoft-SASLab Pro, version 1.0 (December 1993)
Avisoft-SASLab Light, version 1.0 (June 1993)
Avisoft-SONAGRAPH for MS-DOS, (May 1990)